Mary Andrews Clark House
Los Angeles, CA
|Los Angeles Community Design Center
||65,000 SF, 151 Units
Built in 1912 by California Senator William Andrews Clark as a memorial to his mother, the Mary Andrews Clark House operated as a YWCA residence for women until the Whittier earthquake caused significant structural damage and forced its closure in 1987. This City of Los Angeles Cultural Monument, just west of downtown, has been renovated into a 151-room, affordable, single-room occupancy hotel.
New concrete shear walls were required along the inside of all exterior perimeter walls and throughout the interior of the structure to the underside of the concrete roof. To accommodate these new shear walls, all existing wood trim, wood wainscots, portions of wood floors and marble wainscots were removed and carefully numbered to be reinstalled upon completion of the structural work. Wythes of brick were then removed from the exterior walls and replaced by shotcrete shear walls. The shotcrete was plastered to match the original plaster finishes, and the various finish materials were reinstalled.